Sunday, August 4, 2013

Emergency re-build of the letterbox

Dear Visitors,
       I hope nobody has been looking for the letterbox this weekend (August 3 - 4, 2013), or some days or weeks before.  Apparently, some wildlife smelled something yummy in the fingerprints, maybe, and decided to take the letterbox apart looking for food.  A good Samaritan found the letterbox completely dismantled and quite wet, and kindly called me on Saturday morning.  I picked it up, dried it out, but decided that the book was nearly full any way.  I built a new book, cleaned everything up and dried it all out.  I will re-install it as before tomorrow morning.
      I don't know if I will be able to scan the previous letterbox visitors' stamps and notes.  Many are washed beyond recognition by their time in the rain.  Some have really weathered the experience well.  A good reason to use water-proof ink, if  you letterbox! But the pages are quite curled and damaged.  So sorry about the loss.  Back in business soon, with a new book.
Bop

No comments: